Top apps to troubleshoot your Wi
Apr 11, 2023
CyberGuy lists four apps that can help you when your Wi-Fi slows down.
I think we can all agree on how frustrating it is when our Wi-Fi is super slow, especially when we're at home. We expect our internet service to perform at its best, given the amount we pay for it. There are ways to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi connection with these four apps that can work with your cell phone and laptop if they are connected to a Wi-Fi or mobile data network.
CLICK TO GET KURT’S FREE CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER WITH QUICK TIPS, TECH REVIEWS, SECURITY ALERTS AND EASY HOW-TO’S TO MAKE YOU SMARTER
iPhone: 4.5 stars (at the time of publishing)
Android: 4.3 stars (at the time of publishing)
OpenSignal is an app that allows you to take speed tests of your Wi-Fi. ( )
OpenSignal is a highly-rated app for both iOS and Android phones. It lets you do a speed test of your Wi-Fi, including download, upload and latency for 3G, 4G/LTE, 5G, and Wi-Fi. You can also find the best network provider in your area with the app and compare coverage on Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. The speed test runs a 10-second download test, a 10-second upload test and a ping test to determine the speed you will likely experience. Opensignal works with Wi-Fi mobile broadband internet.
MORE: HOW TO SPEED UP YOUR WI-FI, INTERNET CONNECTIONS
iPhone: 4.7 stars (at the time of publishing)
Android: 4.8 stars (at the time of publishing)
AmpliFI Wi-Fi is an app that allows you to view diagnostic information and upload activity. ( )
AmpliFi Wi-Fi is another great app that offers simple ways to add, monitor, configure and upgrade your network. You can view key diagnostic information, like a connected devices summary, upload and download activity, your IP address, and real-time network speed data. You can even control your family's screen time with the ability to pause connected devices and create an in-home guest network for visiting family and friends.
THE DARK SIDE OF PAYPAL AND HOW TO STAY SAFE
iPhone: 4.5 stars (at the time of publishing)
Android: 4.5 stars (at the time of publishing)
Net Optimizer helps you to improve Wi-Fi speed and fix lag. ( )
Net Optimizer lets you improve web surfing speed with faster response time, fix any lag you have and reduce latency. With just one touch, you can find and connect the fastest DNS server to improve your connection. This app works for both mobile data (3G/4G/5G) and Wi-Fi connection and supports many different DNS servers.
MORE: HOW TO SHARE YOUR WI-FI PASSWORD WITH GUESTS
iPhone: 4.4 stars (at the time of publishing)
Android: 4.6 stars (at the time of publishing)
Wi-Fi Analyzer tests your download and upload speed. ( )
With Wi-Fi Analyzer, you can test your download and upload speed, plus do a one-tap to test speed for 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, DSL, ADSL, and Wi-Fi. It gives you real-time network speed and traffic as well as lets you discover all the devices connected to the network. The app does have a subscription fee of $2.99 for one week, $5.99 for one month (with a 3-day free trial), or $14.99 for a lifetime subscription. Your subscription can be canceled at any time.
HOW TO DELETE PHOTOS OF YOUR HOUSE FROM REAL ESTATE WEBSITES
1) One way to speed up your Wi-Fi connection is by investing in a mesh network. They’re quick to install because you just have to plug in a few devices in areas of your home further from the router, and you’ll immediately notice the difference when it comes to speed.
2) You can also try changing the position of your router. If your Wi-Fi router is sitting behind a couch or hidden in a drawer, you are blocking the signals from getting out as strongly as they can throughout the house. Make sure your router is placed in a centralized spot in your home with nothing covering it for the strongest connection.
3) If those options don't work, try using an Ethernet cable. This will allow you to connect directly to your internet through a wire. That way, you can't turn off the Wi-Fi accidentally, or even if the connection gets spotty, you’ll be hardwired in.
WHY GEN ZERS ARE GOBBLING UP FLIP PHONES AND REJECTING SMARTPHONES
4) If you have tried all these options, you may have to upgrade to a faster internet speed. Contact your internet company and discuss upgrade options. You can usually get a better deal if you call and speak to the right representative and ask what promotions they currently have running.
5) Finally, it may be time to get a new router. The older your Wi-Fi router is, the slower your connection throughout your home is. Even if you’re used to this slow connection, you don't want to wait until your router completely dies out on you before replacing it. These are some of the signs to look out for to indicate that it's time for you to get a new router.
Visit CyberGuy.com/SecureRouters to see our top picks for Mesh Networking devices.
Visit CyberGuy.com/Mesh to see our top picks for Mesh Networking devices.
STOP SUBSCRIPTION CREEP IN ITS TRACKS WHILE SAVING MONEY AND PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
As you can see, there are several ways to boost your connection, including using apps, investing in a mesh network, changing the position of your router, or replacing it, using an Ethernet cable and upgrading to a faster internet speed. Try these options and see which works best for you.
Have you tried these steps yet? What ways have you used to increase your Wi-Fi speed? Let us know by writing us at CyberGuy.com/Contact.
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
For more of my tips, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report Newsletter by heading to CyberGuy.com/Newsletter.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved.
Kurt "CyberGuy" Knutsson is an award-winning tech journalist who has a deep love of technology, gear and gadgets that make life better with his contributions for Fox News & FOX Business beginning mornings on "FOX & Friends." Got a tech question? Get Kurt's CyberGuy Newsletter, share your voice, a story idea or comment at CyberGuy.com.
Get a daily look at what's developing in science and technology throughout the world.
You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter!Published CLICK TO GET KURT’S FREE CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER WITH QUICK TIPS, TECH REVIEWS, SECURITY ALERTS AND EASY HOW-TO’S TO MAKE YOU SMARTER 4.5 stars 4.3 stars MORE: HOW TO SPEED UP YOUR WI-FI, INTERNET CONNECTIONS 4.7 stars 4.8 stars THE DARK SIDE OF PAYPAL AND HOW TO STAY SAFE 4.5 stars 4.5 stars MORE: HOW TO SHARE YOUR WI-FI PASSWORD WITH GUESTS iPhone: 4.4 stars 4.6 stars HOW TO DELETE PHOTOS OF YOUR HOUSE FROM REAL ESTATE WEBSITES changing the position of your router. try using an Ethernet cable. WHY GEN ZERS ARE GOBBLING UP FLIP PHONES AND REJECTING SMARTPHONES upgrade to a faster internet speed. new router Speed doesn't match up to the price: No more updates: The router is hot and noisy: Too many devices: Not enough Wi-Fi coverage: It was released 5 or more years ago: STOP SUBSCRIPTION CREEP IN ITS TRACKS WHILE SAVING MONEY AND PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY CyberGuy.com/Contact. CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP CyberGuy.com/Newsletter.